New to caravanning

Mary Vance

Hi all
just joined the club in the hope I will pick up some tips on owning and maintaining a static caravan. Have been a camper for many years but this is my first caravan. Enjoying it so far, but have problems with condensation in the bedrooms despite new double glazing - any ideas

MV

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
The water in warm moist air condenses on cooler surfaces, it is just a fact unfortunately. Since you can't do much to add insulation the only real option is to keep the bedrooms well ventilated particularly at night. The problem with is is keeping the rooms comfortably warm and well ventilated. Also if they do get damp at night try and dry them out by getting some air through them.

Welcome to the club, by the way ;)

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
There's definitely a benefit to using a de-humidifier from time to time but throwing all of the windows and doors open on dry days probably works just as well (as long as you keep an eye out for intruders). The problem is when you leave on a damp cold day having been there for a week or two, you shut up the caravan damp and hope. A couple of £100 dehumidifiers on a time switch might be worth considering but I'm no expert, just trying to help.The problem with these might be over filling if you are not there to empty the collector vessel.

I know quite a few touring caravan owners have a dehumidifier and use it at least at the end of the season before they store the 'van for the winter.

I would ask around your site and speak to the site owner see what they recommend. They might have a dehumidifier that they loan out.

We once had a client make a claim for mold and mildew in a new touring caravan. They had left their caravan with a wet sleeping bag in it when they closed it up for the winter. They had a busy time and didn't return to the caravan for a couple of months. The whole thing was filled with mold and mildew and when they cleaned it off there were little white circles all over the woodwork etc. The insurer didn't pay out because in common with almost all caravan insurance policies damaged caused by mold and mildew is excluded.

I'm telling you this cautionary tale to encourage so that you can learn from the mistake and take steps to protect yourself from something similar. You don't need to be paranoid, you just need to have a plan and do it.

Best wishes

Phil