Faint grey markings appearing on caravan body. Why?

Jane B

Hi, I have a 2011 Swift Charisma 550 and in the last couple of months lots of random faint grey marks have started to appear on both sides of the van from top to bottom and side to side, looking side ways on they almost look diaganol yet aren't. I washed the van last night with specific caravan wash but marks still there when van dries. Van never had any non caravan chemicals on it and it's only in the last couple of months the marks have come but seem to be multiplying. Anyone any ideas of what they are and how to get rid of them? Caravan fully serviced and not stored under trees etc.

Jane B

Forgot to add that have also using the black streak/marks remover for caravans but makes no difference.

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jane,

I've done a bit of searching on the internet and apparently you have to be very careful using polish with a cutting compound in it because the paint on caravan panels is very thin and if it is polished even thinner then metals from the alloy can get through and cause discoloration. If someone used something like T-Cut in the past that might have thinned the paint and then eventually once the wax washes off water can bring metals to the surface. If that is the cause I don't think that there is much you can do but I would get some advice locally. Maybe the place where you have it serviced..

Jane B

Thanks Phil, I'll ask the service guys. I hope it isnt something costly. We bought the van 3 years ago as a private buy. The guy was keen on cleaning so may be he was too industrious. Many thanks for your reply.