Disabled caravanning!

IceDragon

My husband & I and my daughter; have been caravanning for a good few years and are still doing it now.
I am 43, my husband is 66, and my daughter is 17 - recently a rescued chihuahua x jack russell came into our lives and we have now had her nearly 2 years and she loves going caravanning (her favourite place in the Tristar is lying in the front window - failing that the top of any seat cushion will do as long as she can see what's going on!
We have a 1992 Abi Award Tristar which cost £300 to buy and is our dearest caravan so far (our 1st was a 1960's 4 berth Eccles topaz which still had gas lamps in it (and they still worked)!
The Eccles cost us just £100, and is still going strong - and has been all over Europe!
after the Eccles we had a Monza, then a Sprite Musketeer, and after that Cosalt Piper that we had to completely restore -(made before Abi took over Cosalt) and now the Tristar.
You can tell how we carry on with the old caravans- this is the first caravan we have ever had with hot water in it!!!
I have a multiple set of disabilities including a TBI, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, all of which make caravanning different - as well as difficult - for us but we still carry on.
I have a load of sites we go to that cater really well for people with disabilities, that we have found over time and therefore we happily go back to them.
We have sadly also found quite a few that are no use at all - set up very badly and completely inaccessible.
Are there any more disabled caravanners on here?
I had a look to see if there were any threads on here for disabled caravanners - but didn't find any on here so far!
So that's our introduction. xx

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
Best intro on this site yet!

It would be really good if you could share a list of the sites that you have found are really good and maybe why. I honestly think that this sort of information would be invaluable to many caravanners who have similar disabilities.

Best wishes

Phil

IceDragon

Thanks Phil, I wonder if I should put them on a page on here would that be a good idea, do you think? I can also put some of the good helpful ideas and things I have found. I am also very good at cutting costs and I recently made a set of covers for our Abi Tristar, out of 5 long cream curtains I bought at a car boot sale for £3.

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
I've created a new forum called "Disabled Caravanning" It would be really good if you could start a thread on their about sites that are well set up for people with a disability and what you like about them.

Best wishes

Phil

Alan Turner

Not something I've ever really thought about, but I do know if you go on the Caravan Club website every site has an accessibility statement you can download giving an idea of how accessible they are. Not sure about the other chains?