B + E do I need this on my licence to tow my Caravan?

martin oskarsen

I have been towing now for about 7 years and I am a bit confused about towing driving licences. I past my test in 1998 so I don't have the grandfather rights on my licence. As I understand it the towing car has got to be heavier unladen than the max laden weight of the caravan. but the total outfit (car+caravan) not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the towing caravan be no longer than 7 metres. So my car is 1670 kg unladen and the max weight of my caravan is 1399kg and is 6.8 m long. Am I legal to tow my van? or do I have to do my B+E test? :confused:

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
The Camping and Caravanning Club have a page that should answer your question here: Towing - Are you legal?

In your example I think it depends on the MAM (maximum admissible weight) of the tow car. If the MAM of tow car + MAM of caravan exceeds 3.5 tonnes then you need B+E.

In order to be able to tow a caravan a driver must hold a Category B licence. Those car drivers who passed their tests prior to 1st January 1997 would have automatically obtained Category B+E. However, anyone who passed their test after 1st January 1997 will need to take a further test in order to obtain a Category B+E if they wish to tow a car and caravan combination whose train weight exceeds 3,500kg, or up to 4,250 if the caravan is less than 750kg or if the caravan’s Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass exceeds the unladen weight of the car.