Hitch Locks and Wheel Clamps

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
Hitch Locks and Wheel Clamps acts as a deterrent and will not stop organised caravan theft gangs but if you better ones you have a chance of slowing them down and perhaps encouraging them to move on to someone else's caravan.

Sold Secure http://www.soldsecure.com/ test a wide range of security devices including caravan hitch locks and wheel clamps. They have a range of standards the best of which is Sold Secure Gold, so look out for the Sold Secure Gold logo when you are buying a hitch lock or wheel clamp.

If anyone has had good or bad experience with any caravan security device please share it here.

Thanks

Phil

Mike Burton

Hitch locks and wheel clamps will offer a degree of protection as Phil says. Add a set of leg locks, a ground anchor and uncroppable chain and fit a tracker too and most thieves will move on to your neighbour. Bad for your neighbour but great for you. If you park your unit at home, add some security to your house too. Dont leave the keys in an obvious place. Thieves will enter an insufficiently protected house to steal keys to well protected caravan or motorhome. Consider adding a locking hitch post to your driveway.

monkeypops

Hitch locks and wheel clamps will offer a degree of protection as Phil says. Add a set of leg locks, a ground anchor and uncroppable chain and fit a tracker too and most thieves will move on to your neighbour. Bad for your neighbour but great for you. If you park your unit at home, add some security to your house too. Dont leave the keys in an obvious place. Thieves will enter an insufficiently protected house to steal keys to well protected caravan or motorhome. Consider adding a locking hitch post to your driveway.

if some one wants to steal your van the best you can do is slow them down. there are a certain type of carravanner!!!! who think your van is theirs and portable petrol cutting gear soon removes wheel locks. political correctness prevents me from naming these people but im sure you know who i mean

coachjan

The more noise they have to make to take them off the better!
I am trying to get my hands on a 'winterhoff diamond wheel lock' for my coachman amara..I have read how painful it is using an Al-KO wheel clamp i.e.location problems. Does the winterhoff (if I could find who sells them) have the same location problems??
P.S I have no motor movers on my caravan