Towing

Shaun Bennett

Hopefully picking up my first caravan on Sunday and I have never towed anything before so what is the best advice you can give me

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Shaun,

Have a read of this Camping and Caravan Club advice: Confident Towing

That web page encapsulates most of what you need to know.The first two paragraphs contain really good basic advice:
When you’re towing, you’ll need to give yourself more time and space for everything. It’s best to brake earlier than normal and you’ll probably accelerate more slowly with a caravan on the back.

The extra length of your outfit means you will need to take corners more widely than normal so the back of the caravan doesn’t clip the kerb or cut the corner.

For your first trip don't go too far and make sure you have loaded the caravan properly, keep weight low down and over the axle and check you have the right nose weight for the caravan and tow car. To quote from the page above:

The best way to avoid snaking and pitching is to have a well-matched car and caravan and to load your unit carefully. See data sheets that relate to these subjects.

Navigate to this page: Datasheets
and grab some data sheets, look for these.

Matching car and caravan
Safe for the Road
Stabilisers

Good luck!

Phil

kiaconq

hi shaun welcome to the world of caravans, the first thing you need is a very good pair of mirrors as you really do need to see what is behind you. as you gain more experience you will become more confident so do not be afraid of towing it is easy........... enjoy your van and go everywhere.

S

sheila soar

Hi
We are returning to caravanning after about 25 years with the arrival of grandchildren who we would like to take with us (are we mad) We are to pick up our new second hand van in February.
Good adice not to go far - will make sure the first trip is fairly local.
Also re mirrors although I notice the stlye and attachment features of mirrors has radically changed from when we last carvanned when it was a ll bars and straps!!!
We also went out the first time we ever caravanned without any bedding and had to hurriedly buy sleeping bags after spending a night under coats - how daft can you get! I am slo now disabled so I am sure that will alos bring other challenges with limited mobility - any advice on that one?
Also can any one advise on awnings - to buy or not to buy - porch or full bearing in mind with my disability my husband will probably have to errct it mostly under his own steam as these days I am not much use - only ornament!!

ChrisRogers

Hi
Milenco Aero mirrors are very good, they just clamp (2) onto the top lip of the cars mirror, also vibration free.

8329988979_4a4f356192.jpg

If you do a search you may be able to find an Apache Monaco porch awning, easy to put up by 1 person with room for 2, chairs, table and dogs or grandchildren.

IMG_1672a.jpg

S

sheila soar

How kind of you and pictures too
We'll have a look
Thanks

Paul John Lucas

Hi all
Collecting our 1st caravan this Sunday (weather permiting!!!) Van at Bradford & we live in Cannock - Staffordshire.
Snow expected so may have to delay collection. I have towed in the past & tow a fishing boat on a regular basis.
Not as big as the caravan, hope all goes well.
Good luck to Sheila & Hubby
Paul & Sandra Lucas

Hi​
Towing your caravan safely is the most important part of your holiday! You are responsible for your safety and the safety of others around you. No one wants to get to their destination and find that their caravan’s half way back down the M1, racking up a string of hefty insurance claims!​
We’ve highlighted some key points and tips about towing on our Blog with a link to The Towing Code.

http://www.leisureworldgroup.com/blog/have-a-safe-trip-with-leisure-worlds-towing-advice/