New Member - Alan

Alan Turner

Hi All,

We've done a little caravanning before with borrowed vans but never really felt the need to own one... until we had children! We've tried flying with them and staying in villas and staying in hotels in the UK / France that we can drive to and found both hard work due to the amount of stuff we had to take and the lack of space and facilities in hotels.

Due to this we've decided to give a caravan a go, we pick up a 2007 Compass Rallye 636 on Saturday. The plan is use it for weekends away within say a 2 hour drive and holidays wherever takes our fancy for atleast the next two or three years.

It's a bit of a tight reverse onto my drive so I want to look at AWD motor movers if anyone has an opinion on brands? I've seen self fits range from £1100 to £2000 ish.

I also want a full awning, I really just want a cheap European made one and have seen some clearance stock ones for about £400 which should do the job.

I found this website when getting insurance quotes.

Cheers

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
If you buy a motor mover have a practice with it away from where you can do some harm. We once had an owner who bought a mover because he was worried that he might damage his caravan hand manoeuvring it. The first time he used the mover he scraped his van down the side of the house.

I've often thought it would be a good idea to have a motor mover obstacle course and run a competition on it.

Alan Turner

That's a good tip, thanks! I will take it to work and drive it around the yard for a bit!

I have to reverse off the road up a sloped drive between a lamp post and a street sign then through a 9'6" gateway to get it down the side of the garage and into the garden. I can do it fine with a trailer but the lamp post is in your blind spot and the caravan will be wider and longer than the trailer so long term I would rather have one!