Inefficient Heater?

Ged

Hi Everyone, It's more of an observation than a question!! We have a 2010 Lunar Stellar which we've wanted since the day it was launched but was only able to buy one about 1 yr ago, My observation is, The Truma heater really isn't that good at all! We try to use it only on electric ( save the gas!! ) but it's really poor and takes an age for any heat to appear , we try every possible combination of setting's,ie,slow fan,fast fan,medium fan, with the thermostat turned up/down,kilowatt setting up/down! I know that the warm air trunking is routed under the van in most places so may be there lies some of the problem? We've never had this problem before in much older van's. I don't know if it's possible to put more "Lagging" around the pipes underneath? Any suggestions other than sell the van would be really appreciated, Many Thanks

Alan Turner

I have an '07 Compass 636 but they all have the same 2kw heater right? The ducts to the back of my van also run under the floor to get past the side bathroom.

I find it really good, In the cold weather I tend to get it hot with the gas when I'm first setting the van up then leave the electric heater on all the time with the thermostat set. I leave the fan on auto at about 3/4 speed. I had to fiddle how open all the vents were to balance it to push more air to the back and less to the front as thats where the heater is so you don't really need them.

If you think its the ducts under the van see how hot it gets with the fan completely off and see if it gets warm or on the gas set to about 1/4 and the fan on?

D

DaddyC

Sounds like a problem with the heater. It should get hot on the 2KW setting in about 10 minutes.

Alan Turner

If you think the heater is at fault turn everything off apart from the heater, put that of 2kw and the thermostat on max then get a clamp meter and measure the current being pulled through the hook up cable. It should be around 8.5 amps + the little bit that the battery charger might be taking. If it's say between 2 and 6 amps it's probably an element or switch, if it's less than 2amps I would look at the thermostat or switch or supply.

monkeypops

2k really isnt that much. look how new ALL SEASON vans are getting a more powerful heater. why not try a cheap electric fan/blow heater. they around a tenner. ebay argos homebargains etc. why use and potentially wear out your expensive to replace caravan heating elements. you could have 2 if you have a fixed bed. obviously if.when the tenner heater packs in ( mines yrs old still works perfect ) its a tenner to replace and that wont exactly have me in tears. i leave mine running hrs when iv paid for the EHU and often have to switch off as it gets stifling