Gas valve problem

F

Findlay Macrae

as any member had problem with their gas cylinder valve which blocks up with residue and stops the gas flow to the cooker and fire.If so how can one prevent this happening, and can the valve be changed out easily hout resorting to a caravan daeler.??

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
I have read elsewhere that the problem is an oily residue. There are some oily contaminants in all LPGs. In the past the bottled gas firms would clean these out of the bottles by burning it off each time before the bottle was refilled now they only do it every 15 years so the bottles get a build up of oil in them. I guess that this means that as you get close to empty there's a greater concentration of the oil and if this coincides with colder temperatures more will be carried into the regulator and eventually clog it up.

Calor sell regulators for £12. Regulators

They have a regulator guide here Calor Regulator Guide

Their advice is: "Replace any regulator that shows signs of wear or damage."

I have replaced a regulator myself using a stainless steel jubilee clip but I think most dealers use crimp on clips.

Tony Viner

Hi, do you mean the gas regulator, when these were 1st mounted on the the caravan bulkhead some manufacturers positioned them too low (below the top of the cylinder) & this allowed any residue to settle in the regulator & block it, this was a few years ago now, but the fix was to replace it but reposition it higher than the gas cylinders.
Tony

davebakerpurton

Strangely enough this never happens with bottle mounted regulators, leading to the conclusion by Calor that it was gas coming through rubber hoses at high pressure, while with the bottle mounted regulators the gas goes through the hose at low pressure.
Dave B