expensive hobby

bruce wood

I have not actually bought a caravan yet but I am slightly put off by the pitch prices, up to £20 a day, is that normal ?
Seems a lot to me!

J

JJ Smiffy & family

We have bought a van so we can have regular and cheaper trips and holidays with our kids that are at school. 4 days at Centre PARC's costs well over £1,000. Days at a family camp site with entertainment and swimming etc (with a large electric pitch) is £250.
Add the weekends away in the caravan for Two nights at smaller sites says £50 for a pitch compared with two nights in a cheap hotel minimum of £100 (a questimate only) I'll be saving around £1,500 a yr plus going where I like with my own stuff inc bed and toilet!
Okay there is initial outlay and maintenance (no more than my motorbike that I am selling I hope) but the benefit to my kids having new experiences and the flexible option the Van gives makes to a bargain in my view...
Admittedly I am new to this too and my glass is 'half full' but seems like its worth it compared to the alternatives.

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
It all sounds spot on apart from the bit about selling your motorbike but then I suppose we all have to become responsible at some time.

J

JJ Smiffy & family

Thanks Phil. Hopefully a worthwhile and worthy sacrifice. Have to grow up sometime!

J

JJ Smiffy & family

Saturday lunch to Sunday afternoon (first night & test for the new caravan)
Total spend of £18.50...... Bargain

johnp

check on what deals are available,especially midweek , we like commercial sites, where there is plenty going on, you can pick up good deals by prebooking.

woodentopp

We've just returned from a 7 night stay at 'Higher Trevaskis ' Connor Downs - Hayle. 2 adults, 2 children, awning & electric hook -up. (Peak rate, July/August) total. £217. We've been before & will go again, our first stay was in 1991.
On your own it may seem expensive,but for a family the cost becomes less per head!!
If you join the C&C Club, you will probably save the fee the first week you book at a site of theirs each subsequent visit being subsidised