Don't be shy

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
If you are new to caravanning and want to ask a question or you are considering buying a caravan but need some help making your decision on what to buy start a thread here. We will make sure that you get helpful input.

rob hyde

hi all,just bought my first second hand caravan,got it for a good price with all the gear to start with(very pleased).the only problem with it is its got damp in the front corners,had caravan man look at it and advised to have all new seals quoted £350. which saids fine,he also advised to have the front inside reboarded as it would never dry out and would just feister qouted £800. to do the lot including the seals,my question is,is it true about the boards never drying out(thinking about this great english weather we have).thanks for replies in advance.rob

G8HAV

Hi,
The re-sealing is not a bad price. It can be done by a competent DIY as all the sealing material is available from reputable traders on eBay. Plenty of You-Tube videos as well.

When the seals have been done, get or borrow a de humidifier and an electric fan heater.
Have the temperature somewhere about 25-30 C using the electric fan heater; then run the de-humidifier and after two to three weeks, turn it off and check for damp in the corners again. Unless the boards have got mildew marks or are have further damage this will have removed the moisture assuming it was not too extensive (i.e. all the way along the front wall. Remove all loose materials so maximum circulation can occur. Any seat bases can be left standing up behind and they will be dried out as well.

hello we have just bough our very first caravan and don't realy have a clue what we are doing. we have the aqauroll and wastemaster and a step elactric hook up lead and battery but thats it i know we need a gas bottle but is there anything else we need to get started. and also the wastemaster does that only collect waste from the sink or does it do the sink and toilet. all help will be grateful :)

G8HAV

Hi
Glad you are getting started in this caravanning lark. It is great fun.
As I don't know the make or age of the caravan this answer may not address all the queries;
Aquaroll: if it is a modern caravan (, 10 years old) you should have a pump unit which drops in the aquaroll and fits in a rectangular connection on the exterior of the caravan.
If the caravan has an on-board tank you should have a small 12V pump for filling the on-board tank.
Again the age of the caravan determines the gas supply set up;
Newer caravans have the regulator fixed in the gas compartment. It will either end in a left hand screw thread on a flexible pipe which attaches to Propane cylinders (6 kg or bigger),
or it will be a blue clip-on connector which is for Butane cylinders.
Older caravans had either a Propane regulator (red in colour) or a clip-on regulator (usually blue) which attaches to the cylinder.
The wastemaster collects the grey water from sink, wash hand basin and shower.
The toilet has its own container accessed from an external rectangular door on the caravan.
is there no literature with the caravan? if not go to the library and try for a Hynes manual on caravanning which will fill you in with a lot of these details.

hope that helps

hi
my aquasourse water feed seems to have lost its pressure and water is down to a trickle at times is there any
cure apart from buying a new one
thanks
larry

Stuart Lee

Hi, We've just bought a Swift Challenger 500 (2005) and we're just getting to grips with it. It came with everything we need and has been well looked after. Unfortunately the service book is missing. I know the previous owners serviced it themselves, so the latest history would be missing, but I would like to document all that I have done for selling in the future.(OCD on my part) Is there a way of getting a new service book?? I've had a look on the Swift website and can see no links to paperwork/manuals for older caravans.

Trevor Cleaton

Hi,we're new to caravanning this year changing from a Folding Camper so we have a fair amount of gear already,but i am considering buying a hose attachment to the aquaroll with a float inside so you have'nt got to keep filling it up.
Just wondering if they're any good or is there another way.

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it depends on whether the site has water to each pitch. I've only ever gone the keep filling it up route.