Yearly service

Davmeg

Hi all
Last April we bought our first caravan now I need to have it serviced so that the warranty is kept up to date, with it being new it will be the first one. I would like to have it serviced at home rather than at Glossop Caravans to save me the pain of dragging it over there.could you give me some advice please.

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
Have you Googled "mobile caravan service"?

Make sure that you will not invalidate your warranty. I'm not sure if caravans fit into the same rules as cars where you no longer have to use the main dealer even during the warranty period provided the servicing and parts are up to the same standard as the manufacturers requirements.

Perhaps someone could advise us.

Please do let us know what you decide, how you get on and how the prices compare.

Good luck

Phil

monkeypops

Hi all
Last April we bought our first caravan now I need to have it serviced so that the warranty is kept up to date, with it being new it will be the first one. I would like to have it serviced at home rather than at Glossop Caravans to save me the pain of dragging it over there.could you give me some advice please.

hi. be VERY careful of having your van serviced by any one other than the official dealer. i have a kia car and was having it serviced at my local GOOD GARAGE SCHEME garage. when kia checked my service history about an unrelated problem they scrapped my warranty ( still had 6yrs left ) because fuel system cleaner and engine flush additive had been used. it would have needed court action to challenge but i now save a small fortune as im quite capable of doing my own spanner work. i agree that main dealers take you for a ride as they make more money out of servicing than they do out of the brand new sales commission. make sure who ever does the service does a damp report and puts EVERYTHING in writing. hope this helps

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
There was a European Directive a few years ago that stopped car manufacturers from insisting that you had your car serviced at their appointed dealers provided the servicing and parts used matched the manufacturers spec. I guess that the last bit gives them some wriggle room if they spot something done outside of specification. As an owner how can you be sure though because you are not an expert. If you were you'd do it yourself.