Newbie on all fronts

Ian355

Good day fine people of the Caravan world,

I am a newbie here and to caravaning so any help advice or infact ideas to help us start on our path are gratefully received, we are in the process of buying a Elldiss Alfresco 5 berth which is approx 21 years old in very very good condition. We are in Essex near to London & M25 area and looking for storage on a good site any help will be welcome, also any advice on what we should look for or avoid. Thanks all and looking forward to being part of the community :)

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ian,

Welcome to caravanning.

Here's a good starting point for finding a storage site. http://www.cassoa.co.uk/find-a-cassoa-site/
Cassoa inspect member's sites regularly and grade them Bronze, Silver and Gold. They also provide advice to storage site owners on what to do to improve their ranking. Some insurers give a discount if you are on a Cassoa storage site.

I would avoid less formal storage on farms and similar that are not properly set up with security etc. They are cheaper but your caravan is at higher risk of theft and many insurers won't provide cover for this kind of storage facility. Go for a proper purpose designed caravan store with at least substantial locked gates, a secure perimeter and a proper procedure for getting your caravan out.

Over the last few years there has been a move to storing caravans on holiday caravan sites. Some provide a service whereby they pull them out of storage and on site before you arrive for your break. This has the advantage of removing the need for you to tow which can reduce the cost of fuel etc. Also you might feel more inclined to go to your caravan for shorter stays if you don't have to get yourself organised to tow. On the down side you might be limited to the same site for all your hols but you could take the 'van out for a longer holiday trip from time to time. Just an idea worth considering.

Good luck

Phil

Ian355

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the welcome and the information.I will have a good look around and use the site link as well we have not got the van yet and it is stored on a driveway at the moment hoping to get it within the next week or so. I have some time to look nto all of this. Thanks again Phil we are grateful to you.

All the best
Ian