Charging battery

terence

I am new to the principal of 13 pin plugs on the new caravans. I have just purchased a Sterling Eccles 442 Sport . My older van had 2 7 pin plugs, but I only used the black one while traveling, because my vehicle only had 1 plug. I have upgraded my vehicle to a 13 pin plug to accommodate the new van, but the sales person did not explain the charging procedure whilst in transit. As I have a motor mover on the new van, I require a fully charged battery when I reach site to use it. Does the unit charge the battery automatically when connected to vehicle or do I have to "switch something on" inside van so that the charger "kicks" in .?

Mark Baker

[Here is something you might consider trying. newer caravans normally have a relay switch fitted that prevents any 12 volt equipment operating when caravan is connected to towing vehicle (regardless of connector pin type) test this by plugging van into towing vehicle and running engine. Try turning on caravan 12 volt interior lights/ flushing toilet, if they don't work , then your van has this relay switch, confirm by disconnecting connector pin and repeat procedure.

This means that only the caravan battery and refrigerator receive power whilst travelling. Battery charging is automatic, provided battery requires charging and the fridge power is your choice by selecting the appropriate function. If you have a battery condition indicator fitted, then monitor this as well whilst following the above experiment as this will confirm that you towing vehicle is charging the van battery. And finally remember if you stop on a long journey for a break, you need to disconnect the van from towing vehicle in order to use caravan lights and toilet flush.

terence

[Here is something you might consider trying. newer caravans normally have a relay switch fitted that prevents any 12 volt equipment operating when caravan is connected to towing vehicle (regardless of connector pin type) test this by plugging van into towing vehicle and running engine. Try turning on caravan 12 volt interior lights/ flushing toilet, if they don't work , then your van has this relay switch, confirm by disconnecting connector pin and repeat procedure.

This means that only the caravan battery and refrigerator receive power whilst travelling. Battery charging is automatic, provided battery requires charging and the fridge power is your choice by selecting the appropriate function. If you have a battery condition indicator fitted, then monitor this as well whilst following the above experiment as this will confirm that you towing vehicle is charging the van battery. And finally remember if you stop on a long journey for a break, you need to disconnect the van from towing vehicle in order to use caravan lights and toilet flush.

Many thanks Mark,I found that very useful and learnt a little bit more about modern caravans.