Breakdown cover

Dean Temple

Hi, i'm new to having a caravan! i've just checked my breakdown cover it it appears that if i get a flat tyre on the caravan i will not be covered? i've checked other covers and this seams to be the case? can anyone suggest what i can do please? Thanks

PhilHo

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dean,

I think that the Caravan Club's Red Pennant cover would cover you for this in Europe.

The other obvious answer is to be self sufficient. I used to have a Land Rover Freelander that didn't have a spare tyre. Instead it had a kit including a tube of some goo that inflated the tyre and pushed in a liquid that sealed the puncture. It was only good to get you to a garage to get it properly fixed but it might be a solution for you. It would be easier and cheaper than carying a spare etc.

Holts do one called tyre weld that is available on Ebay for £8.20 and from Halfords for goodness knows what.

I hope that this helps

Cheers

Phil

John Higgins

Sorry to appear to be blunt, but you will have to change it yourself, which is not an easy task. I suggest you have Tyron bands fitted to all your tyres, which if and when you get a puncture your tyres should remain on the rim giving you a chance to drive slowly to a safe spot to carry out the change. Tyron bands are not cheap, but they do give you protection in an emergency. Make sure you have a trolley jack capable of lifting up to two tons in either the van or your car. Maybe if you were to join one of the motoring clubs, EG. AA, RAC , Green Flag they may come out and help you. Hope this helps.
John H

Alan Turner

Hi, sorry for the late reply, possibly no use now! Most recovery services do not cover your caravan, if your car breaks down some will take your caravan with you wherever they take your car, others will leave it for you to arrange what happens to the caravan or sort it for a one off fee.

Some will cover it as an extra if you pay a premium.

Look into the caravan club breakdown, they offer various levels of cover that include the caravan through green flag.

I always carry a full size spare for car and caravan and won't buy a car if it doesn't have a full size spare (or an option to carry one). A can of foam or a run flat are no use if you get a puncture in France on a Sunday, your recovery company might come and take you to a garage in a nearby village but you'll probably be camping in their carpark until Tuesday.